Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Occasional Thoughts

Feb 7, 2011

Hope is Our God

So, I would like to talk about something that I find very important. It is that everyone needs a "God". Let me start off by saying I understand that not everyone will agree with me and I am okay with that. Just let me explain.

Yes, I am a religious man. I do believe in God and all he does, however, I do understand why others may not, but what i really want to talk about is not about the deity itself, but the idea.

In the book Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl it explains this topic very well. Viktor was a victim and survivor of the holocaust and explains how he got through the whole ordeal. Surprisingly enough, the book does not go through his horrible experience in full detail, but actually talks more about his overcoming the extreme depression and horrors of the time. He explains how the key to his survival was his thoughts about his wife. He found that he could completely forget everything around him by focusing and completely using all his senses to just picture his wife and how much he loved her. And even though he did not know if she was still alive, he explained how it really didn't matter because the mere thought of her helped him survive. She lived in him.


He later realized that it is hope that keeps us all going. Every single human being lives for hope, lives with hope, and lives to hope. Every single person in the world hope for something, and the ones that give up hope are the ones that are destroyed; either in there mind or physically. He explains how in wars past POWs would be told that the war was over and there side was losing. Even going as far as to completely demoralize them. They would lose all hope and most ended up killing themselves.

I mention all this because it honestly shows the power of hope. We all must find what we hope for. Is it hope for a better life; a new occupation, better grades in school; finding the love of your life; the growth of your children; the belief in a God that will save you? The list goes on and on, and everyone of us has a different hope.

One thing I hope we all can understand is that we all NEED this hope and should never belittle someone else's hope! It is theirs and theirs alone and you have no right to take it from them.

Hopefully you understand what I mean by a "God". Be whatever it is, you deserve to have it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous. feel free to disagree, but do it respectfully. Any post with crude language or degrading will be deleted without question.